How Time Flies

I find that I say that way too much. However, it sure seems like we are moving through life faster than ever. Is it that I'm older? Or am I trying to keep up with the technology? This instant information age.

I grew up in a time and place where the world moved slower than a snail on molasses. I couldn't wait to get out. Now I look back with a longing for the days when neighbors could relax, sit on the front porch, chat and shell peas from the garden as if they had all the time in the world.

The question is were we happier or simply slower?

Happiness, of course, is an inside job that comes from the heart. Do we keep ourselves so busy that we don't have time to feel it? Experience it? Acknowledge when we're happy and content? Can contentment co-exist with the speed in which we live our lives?

I have lots of questions and would be interested in your perspective. How do you stay in present time? How do you experience happiness? What do you do to slow down your world?

Years ago there was a movie "Stop The World" -- the lead character would shout STOP THE WORLD! I want to get off. Years ago I started my personal stop-the-world days. I spend a day (or more) alone and do whatever I want. I turn off the phones and tv and read, sleep, eat, take walks, journal -- all or none. Try it. You might like it.

No comments: